Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Saturday's Coming!

Things are really gearing up for the big doings around here this weekend. I've been hearing about Rockport's Christmas celebration, and I can't wait to see it all. In the meantime, were preparing here at the house for the influx of hundreds of visitors we'll have Saturday and Sunday. Phoebe brought her group of docents over to give them a tour of the cottages that will be displayed and to go over a bit of the history of Harbor Lights Cottages. (Below)


I've been trying to find places for the last of my craft and music items. It's tough when you love to do too many things! I've stowed most of my knitting and weaving yarn, my beading supplies, fabric and embroidery goodies, music books and gear. The instruments (guitars, harp, mandolin, fiddle and ukuleles) will have to stay on display, as well as all my stamping, art and papercrafting supplies. It is the season for making Christmas cards, after all!

And now.... (drum roll, please)...the Christmas tree across the street is lit! I believe the Town of Fulton has finished decorating. I haven't seen workers over there in the past couple of days. So here's the nighttime view out our picture windows which face the bay:


This photo is taken down along the street toward the harbor:

 
And as we look from our cottage in the other direction, toward the left, we see the Fulton Convention Center lit up as well.


We never close the blinds, even at night. It's just too much fun to look out and see all those lights, and know that we didn't have to lift a finger to be able to get more enjoyment from them than probably anyone else in town.

So from out in the road, passers-by get an unrestricted view of the inside of our cottage. It's not usually too exciting for them, though. They mostly get to see a head or two, as we spend much time in the sunroom reading/knitting/working on the computer. Here is the view I had from the road tonight as I came home from my exercise class at the Fitness Center. You can just see Curt's head in the 2nd window from the left.




But now for the REALLY exciting stuff (according to Curt). Every other Saturday behind the Legends Tavern in Fulton (only 4 blocks from our cottage), they hold the internationally famous....(prepare yourself)...belt sander races! No kidding. Curt checked out the venue today. There are parallel lanes about 40' long, and people actually plug in their hopped-up belt sanders with long extension cords and race them. Now, Curt assures me that this is a well known competitive event, popular in Europe and Asia as well. And, he says, if you Google "belt sander races", you'll find a YouTube video of Rockport's races at the top of the list. I'm going to check it out as soon as I finish writing this blog.

Well, this Saturday Is THE day. Curt will be there, camera at the ready, to give you a first-hand report of the action. I'll cover the Rockport Christmas events at the other end of town, and we'll both get together in the afternoon to visit some of the houses on the Historical Homes Tour. Who said small towns are sleepy? There's more stuff going on in this little town than we can hope to keep up with!

So be sure to check back in for the full story (stories). These faithful reporters will do our best to keep you abreast of the breaking news on the exciting Texas coast!

No comments: