Monday, July 14, 2014

A Marvelous Sunday

From here on out for a while, things might be a little different. I can write tonight's blog post, but I won't be able to publish it until tomorrow, Monday, when I find a spot with wi-fi. We are paying dearly for 4G service on both our iPads, but there is no service for us here. So we'll just do the best we can and send you updates at odd hours, when we find a way. 

It's been a terrific day. We had one last breakfast served to us by one of our 3 favorite waitress, Tricia. I've mentioned Tricia, Crista and Tayla before, I think. They're 3 sisters (it's impossible to miss that fact when you see them!), from a very close family. I've been hoping for a day when they all worked at the same time, so I could get a photo of all 3 together, but they weren't scheduled that way this week. You saw Crista on last Tuesday's blog, getting Curt ready for the great lobster fest. This morning I got a shot of Tricia pulling out a giant lobster. How many young women do you know who will plunge bare-handed into a tank of live lobsters?? We'll have to go back for another meal when Tayla is working so we can get a shot of her.

Then we hauled all our things out of our room at the Inn, packing the truck and camper full of all our belongings again. We checked out of the Inn, saying goodbye to all the friends we've made in the past week. in the photo below are Brandon and Anne who were working at the front desk today, and behind them are Angie and Cindy, the two most hard-working, cheerful and accommodating housekeeping staff we've ever met. We've told them all where we'll be camping across the bridge, so I hope we'll get some visitors!
 
We attended the Congregational Church for worship this morning. What a wonderful service! The pastor for the summer is Rev. Lynne Josselyn, a retired United Methodist minister. She set such a tone of warmth and welcome at the service, and delivered a very inspiring and practical message. Laurel Storm, the organist, whom I met last Sunday night as she led the orientation for new students at the SummerKeys music program, played many of my favorite hymns. 

And after the service the congregation had a potluck dinner and were so gracious to invite us to join them. Have we ever declined an opportunity to eat and visit and enjoy fellowship with other Christians? I don't think so. So of course we accepted their invitation today. It was delightful. 

We visited with Lynne and her husband Larry. I know we'll see them again this week, because Lynne has asked Curt and me do do some special music next Sunday. She's going to join us with her guitar. So we'll need to get together to practice. I'm looking forward to that.

Then we just had time to get to a local art gallery, the Crow Town Gallery, which was the venue for an amazing jazz concert. The Mike Levine Trio (keyboard, drums and upright bass) was absolutely wonderful. Curt and I sat and gazed at the view of the Bay of Fundy and soaked up this beautiful live jazz music for two hours. We kept saying, "It doesn't get much better than this!" We met several more very interesting people. We're constantly amazed at the openness and friendliness of everyone we've met in Lubec.


 
Then onto the one little grocery store in Lubec to pick up some food for camping, and across the bridge into Canada. We're at a pretty little campground called Herring Cove Campground. When we were over here last We:nesday, we looked over all the available campsites and reserved #4, the prettiest one all tucked back into the woods. Today as we drove into the campground, we noticed that all the campers here we're parked out in spots out in the open, and not one of the pretty wooded campsites was taken. I said to Curt, "What do they all know that we don't know?" The moment I got out of the truck I knew. Literally...SWARMS of mosquitos came charging out of the woods singing "Dinner!" in their high pitched whine. I think Curt thought I was overreacting a bit when I said , "We can't camp here!" But the moment he got out of the truck, he agreed wholeheartedly. We were able to change to a campsite more out in the open. There are still lots of mosquitos, but nothing like the hordes that are in the woods. Now I know why a certain variety of insect repellant is called "Maine Woods" repellant. I've never seen anything quite like that! One of the park employees said that the hurricane last week really stirred up the mosquitos even more than usual. Who would have guessed?

We set up camp pretty quickly, you can be sure! Tonight I didn't do my usual cooking outdoors. I'm extremely thankful for space to cook inside the camper when it's needed. And it was needed tonight! I sautéed all kinds of fresh vegetables and then added some of the lobster that the wedding group gave us a few days ago. Lobster goulash....there was never a better camp dinner!

So now we're all tucked in the camper, and all the mosquitos are outside except for two who made it in but haven't met their demise yet...but rest assured, they will!

Not sure what tomorrow holds...we'll try to find a place with wifi to send this blog off, and the laundry situation is getting pretty desperate, so that needs to be addressed. But we might do some power lounging as well. Or exploring. Or whatever seems fun at the time.

Blessings to all our dear family and friends, old and new. We'll keep in touch!

No comments: