Friday, June 6, 2014

Packing in Earnest

Whew! Tuesday and Wednesday were two days of nonstop packing. My friend Shirley drove up from Boerne both days to help me. She and I worked on my office at church...a daunting task of many HEAVY boxes of books, Several students came by during those days to say Goodbye and to ease the workload a bit...among them Bess, Savannah and her Mom Liz, and fellow teacher Tim Porter. 
Savannah started taking guitar lessons with me when she just barely turned eight. Now she's a delightful young lady of thirteen, beginning to volunteer with younger children.

After 2 days of such hard work, physically and emotionally, I was more than ready for a break! And I got the break I needed. My birthday wa yesterday, and I got to sleep in till 9 a.m., then have tea outside in the rose garden of our little cottage. Later Shirley and her husband Stephen joined Curt and me for a delicious lunch ai 1011 Bistro, overlooking the Guadalupe River. What a wonderful treat! After lunch we headed back to the cottage for Shirley's birthday surprise for me...a scrumptious lemon cake among the roses. Shirley (bless her heart!) skipped the candle routine, because, as she said, the conflagration might have been enough to cause the neighbors to call the fire department!
Another wonderful gift was not having to touch a packing box until mid-afternoon. But Curt and I made up for lost time and the wall of completed boxes continues to climb...

No comments: